Monday, January 13, 2003

executive director job description

Executive Director of MYNA

SUMMARY
Directs and coordinates activities of MYNA in accordance with identified organizational goals to support, facilitate and ensure consistent activities by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Other duties may be assigned.)

Plan, develops and implements organization policies and goals.
Expectation: Organization operates at peak productivity and efficiency.

Directs and coordinates a MYNA event (camp, conference, seminar, sports day, etc.) in each of the primary population areas (Toronto, Dallas, DC, LA, MI, etc.)
Expectation: Events are effective, positive, and timely.

Analyzes division or department budget request to identify areas in which reductions can
be made, and allocates operating budget.
Expectation: Operating budgets are cost effective and accurate.

Confers with administrative personnel and reviews activity, operating, and event reports
to determine changes in programs or operations required.
Expectation: Suggested changes are beneficial, accurate, and timely.

Promotes organization in masjids, communities and various Islamic organizations.
Expectation: Promotional efforts are professional and productive.

Maintains a commitment to the company vision and the “spirit” of the organization.
Expectation: Company commitment is consistent and positive.

Presides over all company wide employee meetings and formal meeting of directors and
managers.
Expectation: Meetings are conducted in an efficient, productive, and timely manner.

Reviews activity reports and financial statements to determine progress and status in
attaining objectives, and revises objectives and plans in accordance with current
conditions.
Expectation: Analysis and plans are thorough, accurate, clear, and beneficial.

Interfaces with the Board of Advisors to revise objectives and plans in accordance with current conditions.
Expectation: Plans are thorough, accurate, clear, and beneficial.

Maintains full and final signature authority for the corporation and its bank accounts.
Expectation: Signature authority is utilized in an accurate and ethical manner at all
times.

Develop a certification system for advisors, counselors and the various youth positions, so there is consistency of excellence throughout the organization.
Expectation: Certification system is productive, efficient and effective.

Communicates clearly and directly with employees concerning performance
expectations, productivity, and accountability.
Expectation: Communication is ongoing, clear, concise, and complete.

Develop a database of contacts in as many communities as possible.
Expectation: Comprehensive, complete and accurate information is maintained and usable.

SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
Manages as many subordinate supervisors and/or employees as needed to fulfill the above objectives, as MYNA is able to afford and justify their salaries.
Responsibilities will include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.

QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

EXPERIENCE
Three or more years working within the youth arena on the national level.

LANGUAGE SKILLS
Must be proficient in English, both verbal and written skills are essential. Other languages are a plus, specifically Arabic.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, and professional journals.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from the Board of Advisors, youth (12-18), Imams of masjids, and the general public.

REASONING ABILITY
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of “human” variables in
situations where time or public image is at risk. Ability to interpret a variety of
instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.

PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions.

While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk;
sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.

TRAVEL DEMANDS
Travel to at least 50% of all events over two days long. Travel by car or bus is expected for events that are within a radius a four hours.

prepared by Riyad Shama

10 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaikum, First off, jazaks Riyad for the timely email. I took a look at it, and it seems a little long. I think it is good for when we have a final list of candidates to ask them whether they can meet the following requirements, but not something to mail out or email to people. What does everyone else think?

Asad, please try and come up with a flier, and let us take a look at it. Maybe you can condense it some. I guess, also on the document, we need to change the word everywhere it says “company”.

More thoughts later…….

Hanaa, can you send the minutes out as well?

Take Care. Allah Hafiz

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu alaikum. I have talked to Ahmed Murad and he has said that at the moment he cannot commit to something of this sort. He does feel that we should keep him in the loop and if he can help in any way that he will try his best to make himself available.

Personally, I don't think he is out of the question. Over the next year, we will need to work on him and stress the direction that we would like to take this organization and how he fits as an integral component of this vision. I will stay in contact with him.

Monem or Riyad, if you have information on the direction that we would like to take the organization, anything in writing that I can show him, I would appreciate you forwarding that material to me.
Salam

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaikum, I think you should keep on Ahmed Murad. He might be hesitant to jump into something this early, however, after seeing that we are serious and do have a vision, he might change his mind.

As for your questions of goals for the organization, that is exactly what we are for and why we need to plan the Strategic Planning retreat
asap.

My suggestion is that if Narges cannot travel, and everyone else can, then we go to LA. The same for Assim, if he can't, then we go to Charlotte, etc.

Ok, from my earlier comments today, I have shortened up the job
description that Riyad has sent out. One major change I have made is that I have taken out the part where final signature authority is given to the Exec. Director. I think we should talk about this at the next
meeting.

I already have one resume of a potential Exec. Director. Please talk to people and ask them to send me a resume. I will collect all of them and then send them out before the next meeting.

And please, do comment on everything that is going on here.
Take Care. Allah Hafiz

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Asad Siddiqui said...

salam, i've attached the flyer to this e-mail. it contains most of the information from monem's revision. but i've had to leave out some things that i felt are unnecessary for the flyer. the only thing missing is a phone # to call for more info and an address to mail or e-mail resumes.

the flyer is a simple microsoft word document. and it contains only basic fonts - so it should open up quite easily on most computers, inshallah. any of you can also modify it quite easily if you have a new version of word.

peace and love.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

feb.1 2003
Assalamu Alaikum, Hope all of you are well. I am writing this email because we scheduled a conference call for Thursday January 30, 2003 at 9:00 pm EST. Unfortunately, only Assim and I were on the call even though I spoke to everyone personally regarding it. Some of you had let me know in advance that you will have difficulty attending.

The initial rules we had set up were that if you missed 2 conference calls, then you would be taken out of the Board of Advisors. I am confident that each of you believe that the only way that we will have an effective Board of Advisors is to have individuals who are not only committed, but also those who can dedicate the time that it rightly deserves. MYNA must begin to develop a structure and system around itself. This system will allow the organization to live by itself, independent of personalities and individuals. The foundation of this system must be a set of rules that cater to the well-being of the organization, not individuals. Such rules, once agreed upon, must be the legislating component of the organization. This is essential if we sincerely care for the organization, love it, and wish for it to grow. As such, I am asking that the following people to formerly resign:

Lubabah Abdullah
Riyadh Shama
Naeem Mohammed
Hana Unus

If you feel that this decision is wrong, then please speak up by responding to this email (to all members) by Tuesday February 4, 2003. If there is no response on your part, I will assume that you agree with the difficult decision I am faced with.

I would like to make it very clear that in no way am I trying to make a judgment as to your love for MYNA. It is however in the best interest of the organization that we stick to policies that are adopted by us, even if we are the ones that are ultimately negatively affected.

Take Care. Allah Hafiz
Monem A. Salam

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaam Alykum, The meeting of the 23rd was apparently missed by eveyone except Monem (if I am correctly remember Monem's statement to me). I was able to make the follow up on Monday the 27th, but it got pushed to the 30th, and I had told Monem that I had a conflict that night (I already had everything setup for every other week based on the original schedule). So I have two points --
First, it would seem that everyone is out except Monem and Asad as they were the only two on the 30th. Alternately, as the 30th was a makeup for the 23rd, people haven't missed two meetings. Missing two meetings in a row was problematic because people wouldn't be up to speed and have missed consecutive assignments and updates, etc.
Second, as I was able to make the Monday meeting, and told Monem that the 30th was going to be iffy at best, I don't feel as if I violated the rule.
However, those are just my thoughts and I'll abide by the decision of the chair.

Fee Amman Allah,
Peace

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaams, I'm not really one for excuses. So if this is the ruling so be it. The first meeting I missed was all me, flat out missed it. The Jan 23rd meeting, the only reason i knew about it was an e-mail that I read about 8pm on the 23rd that said:

"Just wanted to remind all of you regarding the conference call
tonight. For those that misplaced the number, here it is again:
800-261-3225; 538518# Monem"

I call in when I read the message since I didn't know what time it starts, and no one was on. I hung up and went into the studio, by the time i got out it was after the call. At that time i talked to monem. Which I don't recall talking about the next conference call, but we spoke of a face to face meeting. The next I heard about the meeting was tuesday when my wife said "oh yeah monem called about a meeting that was suppose to happen on Monday night". And a meeting on the 30th? No word about that one. But hey this is starting to sound like excuses. Well call a spade a spade, I won't be one to hold up progress.

salaams and keep the faith

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the Name of Allah,The Most Gracious,The Most Merciful

Assalaamu alaikum warahamtuallahi wabarakatu

Firstly, I would like to apoligize for missing the meeting the thursday before jan 30,2003. By the will of Allah, I was not feeling well and, I admit, I just fell asleep early that night and therefore was absent from the call.

However regarding the Jan 30 call, I was NOT contacted in anyway and had no idea that the conference call was taking place. IF a message was by any chance left at my house, I feel that I already made it clear that I am rarely home and therefore rarely get any messages. In addition, I believe almost everyone on this list has my cell phone number or could have gotten it from anyone who answered my home phone. At any rate, the meetings were planned to take place once every two weeks. Because of this, and considering the fact that I was unable to attend the meeting before, I assumed the next planned meeting would be two weeks from the first one that I missed. Unfortunately I was mistaken.

I truely believe that there will never be anyway for me to express, through words or actions, how much I love and want the youth of my community as well as all the muslims communities of america to grow and become examples to anyone and everyone who cross their path. insha'allah, please consider that my name was accidently skipped over when the calls were made and that there seem to be others that were mistakingly skipped over as well.

I pray that Allah SWT bless and reward everyone on this committee and everyone who has made or attemped to make a difference in the lives of Muslim youth. And that HE SWT give us all the strength to continue in our efforts to build a better future for muslim youth.

Jazakum Allahu khairun
Wasalaamu Alaikum Warahmatuallhi Wabarakatu

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalaamu 'Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu, sorry about the last email, i didn't mean to send it blank..
I would like to first uapologize for missing the last meeting. I actually did get a phone call from monem about the new meeting and also the date change, so i have no excuses. but I would really like to stay involved as myna continues to inshaAllah progress further, perhaps more on a local/regional activity based level or any other way that the board of advisors see fit inshaAllah.
jazaakum Allahu khairan,
wa Assalaamu 'Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feb. 20 2003

Salaam Alykum, Well, our myna email accounts are set up. Your user name is your first name (first letter capitilized) and your password is "muslim". Your address will be your first name @myna.org.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home